We’ve all had chex mix before and most of us have probably made it many times. We used to use the recipe on the back of the box, but it just wasn’t doing it for us. Not enough flavor. Not the right size. Not the right nuts.
Over the years, we’ve tweaked the way we make this well known snack mix. We’ve made it so the pieces aren’t too big, aren’t too small, aren’t too pokey, but are just right. The flavor is bolder. Vito’s the first to say the “smell” of the holidays is butter, worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. It’s a snack we have around here from right about now until the first of the year, and we gobble up gallons of the stuff.
- 3cups of EACH of the three Chex types – (I usually add in a little more of wheat – it sucks up the most juice)
- 1 ½ cups shelled pistachio’s (we get the bag of shelled pistachio’s from Costco)
- 1 ½ cup of gold fish cheese crackers
- 1 ½ cup of gold fish pretzels (I use the old fish pretzels because I like everything to be the same size when I grab a handful)
- 10 tablespoons of butter (yeah you read that right)
- 3 tablespoons of Worchester sauce (the vegetarian Worchester sauce is just as good if you have vegetarian family members you are sharing with)
- 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce (I like franks or crystal over tobacco because of the thickness of the sauce)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Season Salt
- 1 teaspoons of cayenne pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons of chipoltle chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees
- Add the “Wet” to a sauce pan on low heat and start to melt the butter, add the “Spice” and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Gently mix together all the “Dry” in a large bowl, pour over the “Wet” and again mix gently until coated.
- Pour the mix into a large roasting pan, spread evenly and bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread on paper towels or tea-towels to cool. This makes about 1 gallon size zip lock bag – three boxes of cereal makes about 4 batches.
I know everyone has their own special add ins for chex mix. What do you do with yours that makes it special to your family?